Towards Port Elizabeth
- Tsitsikamma National Park (hikes and forest galore).
- Storms River:
(for all of the above – contact Mild2Wild for more info and bookings).
- Stroll the awesome surf beach of Nature’s Valley.
- Spend some time at Plettenberg Bay (Plet to the locals) and at Robberg Peninsula for THE best coastal hikes and views around.
- Spend some serious money on beautiful gifts for the folks left at home; at Global Village (follow the signs for Piesang Valley off the N2 just at the Plet Roundabout).
- Or an ‘animal day’ at the Knysna Elephant Park.
- a game drive at the nearby Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve.
- and a visit to Monkeyland, Birds of Eden and Tenikwa Wild Cat Awareness Center to finish it off.
Towards Cape Town
Drive the Seven Passes Road to George and Outeniqua pass to Outdshoorn, on your way to Cango Caves and the many Ostrich farms, whilst earning a well deserved stop at the Karusa Vineyard for tastings. If you’re deciding to overnight, a wonderfully unusual early morning activity, is to spend sunrise with the Devey and his wild meerkats at Meerkat Adventures.
Clear your head along the many beach and forest trails at Wilderness and Hoekwill, and stop at the Dolphin viewpoint at the top of the N2, on your way to the lesser known beach spots of Victoria Bay and Herold’s Bay. Stop for a beautiful country style buffet lunch at Down to Earth – a superb clay, straw and timber building birched high on a hill overlooking Herold’s Bay.
For all the history buffs out there (yes! You know who you are) a trip the Mossel Bay is a must:
- With seven museums in one AND the Post Office Tree, at the Dias Museum Complex.
- Climb the Cape St Blaize Lighthouse, at the Point for some good photos of the bay.
- Stop at the Cove, at the Point, for a quick archaeology lesson in 165,000 years of human development (oh! and a good photo opportunity with the local rock dassies).
Mossel Bay is also the perfect place to come face to face with a Great White Shark, with daily cage diving trips out in the Bay, to see close up these beautiful fish.